Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My Grandma

Today is the 1 year anniversary of my grandma's death. She died on my parents' wedding anniversary--which I'm convinced happened for a reason (I know there's no way of knowing that, but whatever--it makes me feel better...and I believe it to be true). But anyway, I wanted to say a few words on this 10th day of August, 2009 about her.

My grandma knew how to love. And she never told us how to love--she showed it. Her happiness came from others' happiness. That is something that I didn't realize until I read my brother's eulogy for her. He used those exact words: her happiness came from others' happiness. And that describes her perfectly. We always used to think it was so funny that when her and Grandpa would take us out to dinner she would get so upset if we didn't order an appetizer. She would have this truly worrisome look on her face if we declined. But that's how she showed love: giving. She was extremely generous. So what I realize now is that when we declined an appetizer that she offered to us, we, in essence, declined her love. She just wanted us to be happy. I wish we would have just eaten the darn appetizers.

After she died my mom told me this awesome story about her. One Christmas when we were little and Santa still came, my dad was upset that Grandma and Grandpa had bought us more presents than "Santa" had. So to appease him, Grandma gave him some of the presents they bought, to be given to us by "Santa". And I didn't hear about this until after she passed away. She never bragged about what she did. She never told us when we were older that one Christmas she helped out Santa.

Her life was about serving others. Of course she served her family, but she was also very involved in being an advocate at the Fairfield Center, where her other daughter, my Aunt Judy lives. Judy is brain-damaged and my grandparents took care of her as long as they physically could. But eventually, they had to take her to a place where she could get the kind of care that she needed. At any rate, though, Grandma still stood by her side and supported her and did what she could to improve things at the center.

And I can't forget to mention this: my grandma's waffles. She made the best waffles EVER. I am telling you, there's none like them. My mom would even buy the same brand of waffle mix, make them in the same kind of waffle iron, use the same kind of syrup, and they just were not as good as Grandma's. (Sorry Mom : ) ) They were one of a kind.

So Ann Hamner is remembered for some great things. And I will use what I have learned from her throughout my life. She will live on in us.

I love you Grandma. Things are just not the same without you. Yes, we are living our lives and doing okay, but it's not the same. You were such a special part of our lives, as I know we were to yours. You are very missed.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Aww, Stacy this was beautiful...I will never forget your Grandma, she was a wonderful woman. Hold onto those memories. Love you.